[Last-Call] Re: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-lisp-name-encoding-08

UTF8 is upward compatible with ASCII.  That is, all seven-bit ASCII characters are valid UTF8 characters.

On 7/9/24, 12:59 PM, "Dino Farinacci" <farinacci@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:farinacci@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> Reviewer: Rich Salz
> Review result: Serious Issues

Thanks for your comments Rich.

> This is a very short draft that adds "names" to LISP identifiers.
>
> Major nit: Why is ASCII used for names rather than UTF-8? Related, no mention
> of punycode as a UTF8 alternative. If UTF8 was considered and then rejected as
> not needed, there should probably be a justfication for that decision in the
> document.

This came up in the working group and we just decided ASCII was sufficient. And since implementations lead the draft we didn't want to obsolete them or create a compatibility issue.

> A document which is part of a system "which are intended to replace most use of
> IP addresses" that limits names to the ASCII character set should not be
> approved.
>
> Minor nit: "Distinguished Name" has a long history with X.509 certificates and
> I could not get past my confusion. Is another name possible? Okay if the
> answer is no.

We had to inherit that name since we decided to use AFI=17.

Dino