[Last-Call] Re: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-lisp-name-encoding-08

On Jul 9, 2024 at 9:59:13 AM, Dino Farinacci <farinacci@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Major nit: Why is ASCII used for names rather than UTF-8? Related, no mention
of punycode as a UTF8 alternative. If UTF8 was considered and then rejected as
not needed, there should probably be a justfication for that decision in the
document.

This came up in the working group and we just decided ASCII was sufficient. And since implementations lead the draft we didn't want to obsolete them or create a compatibility issue.

I used to hear this all the time in 2004. Twenty years later, I’d have hoped that ASCII-only names for anything would be a serious code smell.