WG list moderation, rethinking and updating BCP 83, and associated issues (was: Re: [Last-Call] A single cited message)

(Commenting on part of a longer message posted to the Last Call list
[1] although I'm copying the IESG.  This part is clearly not specific
to the PR-action Last Call in progress)

--On Saturday, June 15, 2024 02:59 -0700 S Moonesamy
<sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I may have to listen to the parties involved in a dispute before
> making a determination in some other context.  That is not how it
> works in this context; the choice is between ratifying the decision
> taken by IESG members or disagreeing with the decision.

Right.   But, in a way, that is no different from a Last Call on a
protocol specification, especially one handled as an individual
submission.  You either agree with the decision of the author(s) and
sponsoring AD that the spec is appropriate for Last Call and worth
advancing or you don't.  In this particular case, the person against
whom the PR-action was proposed had the opportunity to speak out and
even to engage in the discussion.  Whether the comments they made
strengthen the case for or against the PR-action is something the
community might comment on but, like all other comments during Last
Calls, the IESG ultimately decides on its value.   Yes, it is
different because of something others have observed and commented on:
in general, the IETF is far better at dealing with technical specs
than with procedural matters.   Even among procedural matters, I
think the recent discussion shows (not for the first time) that we
are, as a community, better at dealing with ordinary procedural
matters than with matters involving passing judgment on individual
actions or behaviors.  The latter is especially true when those
matters can involve personalities, who likes or dislikes (or is
friendly or unfriendly with) whom, etc.

> Let's assume that there was a comment about the characteristics of
> a person in a working group. If I was handling the mailing list, I
> would enable the moderation flag for the sender until further
> notice.  I would inform the sender about the action and what to
> expect.  There would also have to be a message to the working group
> mailing list as per the requirement in the relevant process
> document.

That, IMO, is part of a very separate problem.  Some WG chairs (or
list managers they designate) have the time and skills to do that
thing well, others don't.  Where a particular participant has a
history of disagreeing with many or most others in the WG on
technical matters, may feel that their concerns are being dealt with
dismissively and maybe even in a way calculated to get them to drop
out of the WG, and then says something rude about an individual they
see as pushing such an agenda, it requires a great deal of insight,
skill, and patience on the part of that list manager to handle things
well -- talents and abilities that the typical IETF participant may
not have, especially when under stress.

I've heard from several ADs that it has gotten hard to find people
who are willing to be WG Chairs.  Some postings on the Last Call list
have suggested that, the more we require WG Chairs to moderate
mailing lists and solve interpersonal problems and to do so in ways
that do not cause suspicions about their own motivations and
behavior,  the harder it will be to find people willing to serve as
WG Chairs.  If we think keeping possible behavior issues (including
comments directed toward individuals) under control, it seems to me
that, unless we can accurately predict when and where such incidents
will occur, we need to either
 (i) avoid chartering WGs unless there is clear evidence that the
proposed management structure for them (including chairs, list
managers, and, if needed, ADs with the time and inclination to watch
things closely), including carefully and fairly moderating the WG
mailing list, will be adequate to deal with interpersonal problems if
they arise.  That would include shutting down WGs if leadership
changes or patterns show that the management structure is no longer
adequate) or
 (ii) change the mandate of the ombudsteam to cover, e.g., comments
participants make about others or groups on mailing lists rather than
limiting themselves to problems they deem much more serious than an
individual comment or even several.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see willingness in the community to
embrace either of those options.  And I am very concerned about where
that leaves us.

By contrast, I see most of the problems with BCP 83 that have been
called out in the recent discussions as being solvable (or at able be
mitigated) with a carefully thought-out update.  IMO, such an update
would clarify that PR-actions are about protecting the community from
patterns of disruptive behavior and not punishing bad behavior (any
side effects notwithstanding); better define the boundary between
behaviors that are appropriate for the IESG to deal with via
PR-actions and behaviors that should be dealt with by the ombudsteam
(noting that the latter option did not exist when BCP 83 was
adopted); extending the lists for which PR-actions can be applied
directly to all IETF-wide lists (e.g., Last-Call and IETF-announce as
well is ietf@ietf); giving the PR-action decision-making process the
option of making effects on, e.g., WG mailing lists opt-out rather
than opt-in for the WG leadership; and, if they deem problem behavior
as sufficient disruptive and/or egregious to require immediate
action, giving the IESG the ability to suspend posting privileges
during the Last Call period on a PR-action.

I don't see that as solving all of the problems with the IESG, or the
broader participant community, having to sit in judgment about the
consequences of the behavior of some participants.  It seems very
unlikely that we can devise anything that would work perfectly, but
it seems to me that updating BCP 83 along the lines outlined above
would be a small step forward.  Anyone want to join me in putting
together a first draft of an I-D?  And, if I/we were to do that,
would members of the IESG be willing to move it forward or would that
be a dead end?

thanks,
   john

[1]