[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action for Timothy Mcsweeney

John, I think you err here in thinking that the IETF has a good reputation. I don't think that's entirely true. We do have a reputation for doing good work, but we also have a reputation for being slow, and for being bogged down in useless discussion. And for excluding people who are not highly tolerant of dysfunction. We should never be "too hasty," but currently I would describe our progress on this front as "not nearly hasty enough."

The benefit of an immediate-moderation policy is that it allows us to actually give people who might be disruptive a chance to reform, while protecting the community from them if they choose not to. The policy we have right now is disastrously slow to react to bad behavior, as the current discussion clearly reflects. So sure, let's be careful, but let's also be effective.