[Last-Call] Re: L2 posting rights restriction

Ted Lemon wrote on 10/06/2024 17:05:
3. If a person engages in behavior patterns that clearly indicate that they do not respect the community and are not willing to work to engage more constructively, then we have to decide whether that justifies a permaban or a permamoderation. I don't think there's a middle ground here: a person who has decided not to respect community norms would have to really make a major about-face before we could justify allowing them to post again without moderation. A mouth-only apology would not be adequate. A waiting period while doing nothing to address the antisocial behavior is even less adequate.

there is middle ground, e.g. getting a written statement from the person in question that they agree to comply with whatever AUP applies (e.g. RFC 9245 + the current definition of "Uncivil Commentary") before having their posting rights restored. This raises the bar from implicit agreement of a set of rules to explicit agreement, so that further infractions become explicit acts of bad faith. This is not going to stop people behaving poorly if that's what they're going to, but it will exert some pressure and highlight the issue in a way which is not possible for the individual in question to ignore.

Nick