[Last-Call] Re: [Bier] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-tether-04.txt> (Tethering A BIER Router To A BIER incapable Router) to Proposed Standard

(Top posting)

Jeffrey –

Why don’t we want to use OSPF router id/IS-IS system id?

Because they are not routable IDs. Routers will not have forwarding entries for these identifiers – so it won’t be easy to determine whether these nodes are reachable.

The OSPF Router Address and the IS-IS TE Router IDs were invented precisely to provide stable routable addresses for a node.

They are now being used in numerous ways to identify the source of information e.g.,

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7794.html#section-2.2

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9084.html#name-prefix-source-router-addres

Your use case is best supported by using these identifiers.

   Les