Re: [Last-Call] [Bier] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-tether-04.txt> (Tethering A BIER Router To A BIER incapable Router) to Proposed Standard

Jeffrey -

Thanx for the prompt response. (Better than me. 😊)

Please see inline.

[LES:] MY confusion is not with the size of the addresses - it is with what addresses for a given node should be used.

I would think you want to use advertised Router IDs - just asking for that to be mentioned.

Otherwise, I do not know how you expect the various helper nodes to advertise the same address(es) for the same helped node.

>         0                   1                   2                   3

>         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

>        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

>        |    Type       |   Length      |    Priority   |   Reserved    |

>        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

>        |    Address of the Helped Node  (4 or 16 octets)       |

>        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

> As there is provision for IPv4 and/or IPv6, this suggests that a given router

> could send two such sub-sub-TLVs - one for each address-family. But there is

> no discussion as to whether this is allowed nor is it discussed what would

> happen if a given node advertised multiple such sub-sub-TLVs for the same

> address family.

> Zzh> The draft does say the following, which should be clear?

>    ...  The helper node (BFRx) MUST advertise

>    one or more BIER Helped Node sub-sub-TLVs in the BIER Info sub-TLV in

>    the case of ISIS or BIER Helped Node sub-TLVs in the BIER sub-TLV in

>    the case of OSPF, one for each helped node:

[LES:] So, what Helper Nodes are advertising is really a list(sic) of the nodes for which they can act as helper.

Your encoding is not optimized for that use. More on that below.

> The name as defined in the IANA section is "BIER Helped Node" - but I would

> think this was meant to be "BIER Helper Node". (I could argue that a more apt

> name would be "BIER Tether Node".)

> Zzh> It is indeed "Helped Node". The Helper node advertises one sub-sub-TLV

> for each helped node.

[LES:] Ack - after a more careful reading I agree.

I tend to think "helped node" is better than "tether

> node" or "tethered node" for three reasons:

> Zzh> a) the document uses "helper/helped" node throughout.

> Zzh> b) seems to me that with "tether node" and "tethered node" it is not as

> clear on which one is the helper

> Zzh> c) somehow to me the wording "tether" implies directly connected;

> though the document started with that scenario, it has been expanded to

> include remote helpers.

> The encoding defined in Section 3.1 needs to be made protocol specific. OSPF

> typically pads things to a four byte boundary, but IS-IS does not - which means

> the "Reserved" field should not be present for IS-IS.

> Zzh> It is for possible future extension purposes instead of padding. If you say

> it is important to save bytes in ISIS signaling, I can remove it but otherwise I'd

> like to keep it. Please let me know.

[LES:] First, reserving space for possible expansion means we send more bytes than needed. I am not a fan. And since you don’t indicate what the reserved field might be (flags, op code of some sort, ...) the probability that you can add information w/o backwards compatibility issues may be low.

The more flexible way of adding extensions would be to support sub-TLVs.

Second, if what you are advertising is really a list of helped nodes, one can imagine a more efficient encoding where you can advertise multiple addresses in a single sub-TLV.

To do that what you need is an AF indicator (so that the address length can be inferred) and then have a list of addresses.

The AF indicator could either be done by having a flag in the encoding - or assigning separate code points for each address family.

As an aside, I am wondering what the push is for publishing this as an RFC. Have there been early deployments?

I ask because if you do consider encoding changes, this would obviously impact any existing POCs - but given you did not have early allocation of code point I am wondering if that is a practical issue.

Maybe move forward w an early allocation of code point, get some deployment experience, and then push for an RFC with better experience.

   Les