Budget numbers (Re: What to incorporate)

Thanks for asking questions that I can answer, Dean!

--On lørdag, september 04, 2004 04:16:11 -0400 Dean Anderson <dean@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> I think the IETF also has paid employees. Aren't these people paid by
> the ISOC?  If not, please correct this information.

The IETF does not have paid employees.
ISOC has paid employees, but they do not work for the IETF.
Foretec has paid employees doing the secretariat job. ISI has paid
employees doing the RFC Editor job. ICANN has paid employees doing the
IANA  job.

The 2003 budget includes this section:
http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/financials-2003.html
===== Funding from the Internet Society. This is accounted for in
Internet  Society financial reports.
      This supports:
            The RFC Editor - $516,460
            The IETF Chair's discretionary funds - $47,276
            The expenses related to the IAB - $37,270
            Insurance - $13,685
[...]

You snipped the line here that said "The numbers below are the financial numbers from Foretec for fiscal 2003.".
The numbers above that line are ISOC numbers; the numbers below that line are Foretec numbers. Two different accounts, where one is controlled by the ISOC Board and one is controlled by the CNRI Board - something I think we should fix.

Secretariat Labor Expense                    $532 936

=====

So all labor is either outsourced or volunteer work?

What is the insurance for?

Liability insurance for the IESG, the IAB, working group chairs and document editors.

What do the IETF Chair's discretionary funds cover?

Mainly travel expenses for the multicast team to IETF meetings, and travel expenses for people who the IETF wants to have at meetigns where they can't get other funding to get there. WG chairs who are between jobs have occasionally come into that category; John Levine at the ITU meeting on spam was another.

I notice that the IETF lists revenue of about $2 million. Into whose bank accounts is this money deposited, and what federal tax classification is used for reporting this revenue? I don't think its possible to be both unincorporated and non-profit.

The revenue goes into a bank account at CNRI. CNRI pays Foretec according to a contract between CNRI and Foretec for the secretariat work.
I have not seen that contract.

                       Harald