[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

According to Martin Thomson  <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>[1] I mean, I find it hard to believe that the purchase of standards really funds these organizations.

You don't have to guess, since SDOs are charities that file financial reports.

The IEEE Form 990 for 2022 says that for IEEE Xplore, which includes
their journals along with some of the standards, expenses were $159M,
revenue was $240M.

A separate line for Standards revenue was $43M.

ANSI Form 990 says their revenue from "Standards Facilitation" was
$47M, from accreditation services $31M, and other stuff about $9M.
Assuming Standards Facilitation is a euphemism for selling standards,
that's about half of their revenue.

It doesn't fund the whole thing but the numbers are not trivial.

Poking around ISO's web site I see general statements that revenue
comes from national members' contributions and from sale of standards
but I can't find concrete numbers. It's further confusing because
national members each sell ISO standards so part of that revenue comes
back as member contributions.

R's,
John