[Last-Call] Re: SDO references, was Re: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis-05.txt> (Procedure for Standards Track Documents to Refer Normatively to External Documents) to Best Current Practice

Carsten’s comments make sense to me.

Reference are more complicated when you start looking close.

IEEE 754 floats is another example. Definitely don’t want to restate it, definitely don’t want to reinvent it.

I think there are cases where something is referenced that can’t be implemented for free due to IP and copyright. We (must) live and interplay with a commercial world, so this happens.

I think I’d like to see a better review of references in the document shepherd write up and/or better BCP for references in general (my document got caught up in a MISSREF delay of about 6 months that could have been avoided with a little foresight).

LL