Re: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-6man-hbh-processing-15

On 29/04/2024 12:04, Brian Trammell via Datatracker wrote:
> Reviewer: Brian Trammell
> Review result: Ready with Nits
>
> This document has been reviewed as part of the transport area review team's
> ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
> primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the document's > authors and WG to allow them to address any issues raised and also to the IETF
> discussion list for information.
>
> When done at the time of IETF Last Call, the authors should consider this
> review as part of the last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
> tsv-art@xxxxxxxx if you reply to or forward this review.
>
> This document is OK for transport.
>
> Thanks for this document; it's a valiant effort at fixing v6 hop-by-hop options > to be current-reality compliant. Given the TTL of various devices doing things > the old way, I'm skeptical that it will have much immediate effect but I still
> consider it quite useful to publish as an update to 8200 for its eventual
> future effects.

Thanks for the review.

We are not expecting it to have an immediate effect (like most IETF documents).

Please see sepcific responses below:

> A couple of questions/nits:
>
> in Section 4: "Significant reordering of the packets belonging to a flow can > impact the performance of upper layer protocols and needs to be avoided." The > first part of this is obviously true. The second part is mostly true for most > protocols in most of the Internet, but I'm not sure "needs to be avoided" is > universally true for all transports. In the absence of any good way to know how > reordering-tolerant a given flow is, I'm not sure I have advice for making this
> text better, but it makes me feel a little sad nonetheless.

GF/BH: I still think the key word here was "significant", and since an IP router typically does not know the packet payload, then significant reordering does need to be "avoided" - because this upsets IPsec, some transports (not all), some other protocols (not all).

I expect though we could have improved the text that Joe noted, describing that reordering better, and we propose better text in that preceding statement to clarify this:

NEW:    If a subset of packets in a flow were to include Hop-by-Hop options,
        this could introduce a potential to increase the number of re-ordered packets
        and the re-ordering distances of the packets
        delivered to the destination.

> in Section 5.2: "If a router is unable to process further Hop-by-Hop options > (or is not configured to do so), the router SHOULD skip the remaining options > using the "Hdr Ext Len" field in the Hop-by-Hop Options header." -- This is > good advice, of course, and the document refers to eh-limits with respect to > how long an HbH header should be. Do we have confidence that deployed routers
> can skip on the fast path?

GF/BH: All IPv6 Hop-by-Hop options have a bit in the option type that instructs the router to skip this opinion if not recognized, so we have confidence that routers can do this.

> Section 5.2.1, in essence if not in explicit language, deprecates the Router
> Alert option, but the IANA considerations leave
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-routeralert-values/ipv6-routeralert-values.xhtml
> (and its references) untouched. Is this intentional?

GF/BH:  We are not intending to deprecate the router alert option. The text in the draft that relates to this is in a “Discussion” section, it is an attempt to describe the issues, and how this ought to be used when required.

Best wishes,

Gorry & Bob