Re: Citing a BCP

Hi all,

On 4/23/24 1:33 PM, dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Jim Fenton wrote:
I want to cite BCP 195 in a document I’m working on, and would rather cite the BCP
rather than the component RFCs (8996 and 9325) because the BCP will be updated
as needed, while the component RFCs won’t. I realize that means that there’s some
possibility that the BCP will say something that the referencing document won’t like
at some point in the future.

Is there an accepted form for citing a BCP? For example, does the BCP itself have a
title? Is the author simply, “Internet Engineering Task Force”?

[JM] Yes, please see the online portion of the RFC Style Guide
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/>.

If you are working in XML, you can include a reference to BCP 195 by using the following:

<xi:include href="https://bib.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml9/reference.BCP.0195.xml"/>

Which will produce the following output in the text:

   [BCP195]   Best Current Practice 195,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/bcp195>.
              At the time of writing, this BCP comprises the following:

              Moriarty, K. and S. Farrell, "Deprecating TLS 1.0 and TLS
              1.1", BCP 195, RFC 8996, DOI 10.17487/RFC8996, March 2021,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8996>.

              Sheffer, Y., Saint-Andre, P., and T. Fossati,
              "Recommendations for Secure Use of Transport Layer
              Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security
              (DTLS)", BCP 195, RFC 9325, DOI 10.17487/RFC9325, November
              2022, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9325>.

For details on using xi:includes, please see
<https://authors.ietf.org/en/references-in-rfcxml>.

Here's what the RFC editor site currently has for citing the BCP:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/refs/ref-bcp195.txt

[JM] This format is also acceptable, but it is the older style. Note that the RPC is in the process of updating these files to match the current style.

Best regards,
Jean

RFC Production Center

Not sure it's the best answer, but it seems to be the current answer.

Dave