Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07

On 05-Apr-24 02:11, Tim Chown wrote:
Hi,

On 4 Apr 2024, at 10:34, Jen Linkova <furry13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 7:06 PM Tim Chown <Tim.Chown@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The thing is that the host behaviour is explicitly (and intentionally)
out of scope. For me, as a network administrator, it doesn't matter
how exactly the client configures that address: my network
design/topology would be the same. The client can be a RFC7084-type
router (that's what happens when someone plugs a CPE to an access
port), or use smth like rfc7278 - or smth else. Up to the client, the
network routes thet whole prefix to that device, do whatever you want
with it.

OK, so maybe make it clearer that it is out of scope, as I was expecting to find some comment about it, and I could not.

The last paragraph of the Introduction states that:
"This document focuses on the behaviour of the network. Host behaviour
is not defined in this document."
Do you think we need to make it more clear?

Sorry, I missed that, but the question of how more precisely this model would be deployed in, for example, a campus WiFi network, would be worth documenting. How addresses on the wireless side are configured, how the routing is done, whether a mixed environment is practical, interactions with eduroam (802.1x), that sort of thing. Perhaps that’s a second informational document.

Yes. It seems to me that v6ops is generally a bit remiss in documenting how netops can manage host (mis)behaviour.

    Brian

we do frequently have campus admins asking how they get host entries into the DNS with SLAAC, so it’s a FAQ.

Yes, I agree it's a problem to solve, but I think it might be more in
scope for my 6MOPS draft...What do you think?

Sounds fine :)

There’s also probably something to be said somewhere about address accountability, it’s the flip side of the privacy considerations but useful in a campus environment.  I don’t think the draft mentions this (or at least has one unrelated instance of the word ‘account’).

Best wishes,
Tim