Re: [Last-Call] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07

Hi,

> On 4 Apr 2024, at 08:28, Jen Linkova <furry13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,

>>> Strictly speaking it's the same approach as SLAAC.
>>> Would the following text address your concern:
>>>
>>> DHCPv6 servers that delegate prefixes can interface with Dynamic DNS
>>> infrastructure to automatically populate reverse DNS, similarly to
>>> what is described in section 2.5.2 of RFC [RFC8501]. Networks that
>>> also wish to populate forward DNS cannot do so automatically based
>>> only on DHCPv6 prefix delegation transactions, but they can do so in
>>> other ways, such as by supporting DHCPv6 address registration as
>>> described in [I-D.ietf-dhc-addr-notification].
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> Hmm, there’s the how the node configures an address on that interface,
>
> Ah ;)
> The thing is that the host behaviour is explicitly (and intentionally)
> out of scope. For me, as a network administrator, it doesn't matter
> how exactly the client configures that address: my network
> design/topology would be the same. The client can be a RFC7084-type
> router (that's what happens when someone plugs a CPE to an access
> port), or use smth like rfc7278 - or smth else. Up to the client, the
> network routes thet whole prefix to that device, do whatever you want
> with it.

OK, so maybe make it clearer that it is out of scope, as I was expecting to find some comment about it, and I could not.

>> and then also the how that might be added to the DNS. I’m not sure either is stated explicitly at the moment.
>>
>> I recall ietf-dhc-addr-notification originally included DNS registration, but the current version removed that?
>
> Yes, the dhc-addr-notification doesn't say anything about DNS. What we
> are saying in this draft is that the administrator may use DHCP server
> logs to populate DNS, if they chose so. Or it could be a dynamic DNS
> software run on the device.

Yes, I agree that’s a more general “problem” anyway. But we do frequently have campus admins asking how they get host entries into the DNS with SLAAC, so it’s a FAQ.

Tim