Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community

On 3/31/24 22:42, John C Klensin wrote:

(1)  The appeals procedure was designed for dealing with
technical issues and closely related process ones connected with
standards track documents, especially standards track documents
originating in IETF WGs.  It is no accident that the procedures
are defined in RFC 2026, "The Internet Standards Process --
Revision 3".  For those purposes, I agree with you that its
workings are still reasonably satisfactory (or better).  Over
the years, we have adapted it to apply to many types of other
decisions, including purely procedural ones.  My concerns are
almost exclusively with the latter and I should have made that
much more clear in my initial note on the subject of appeals.

(2) When we got past what was known as the Kobe crisis with the
IAB and the POISED process, I believe that the general consensus
and understanding in the community was that the IESG (a title
inherited from earlier arrangements) was primarily a
coordinating body, responsible for keeping a complete overview
of IETF activities and for making determinations about community
consensus but with minimum power or authority for doing things,
especially things of broad significance, top-down.  ADs did have
significant responsibility and authority over the behavior of
"their" WG and were considered accountable for them.  Perhaps
inevitably, that never entirely worked, but I believe the model
was one of the core principles that Pete Resnick and I have
referred to.

Incidentally, one of the other assumptions that came with that
model was that AD would be actively watching the WG for which
they were responsible and, if they didn't have time for that and
the IESG did not consider increasing its size appropriate, the
correct action was to stop chartering new WGs, or allowing
existing ones to add new work, until WGs completed their work
and were closed down until the workload was acceptable.

As Pete suggested, things have changed and, to at least some
extent, we have drifted away from principles like that and some
of us (including several former ADs) think things worked better
"back then".

+1

I've never thought it was okay for WGs to be entirely autonomous, at least not if they expect their work to be approved when they believe it is complete.
IESG is supposed to be a *steering* group, after all.

At the same time I admit that it's always been difficult for ADs to supervise their WGs closely enough to ensure that their WGs are doing quality work.  The best solution I can recommend for that problem is to have fewer WGs.   (Increasing the number of ADs creates other problems, including increasing the number of ADs who can vote DISCUSS.)

Keith