Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community

On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 2:16 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IMO github has made it much more difficult for participants to follow a
discussion, since they essentially have to follow it in multiple
places.   I see advantages to github but only in late stages of a
document's evolution, when most of the activity is "wordsmithing".

+1.

> (2) The diversity of opinions makes me think we should consider
> allowing working group chairs to decide for their working groups
> whether, and how long, an embargo should last.

I disagree.   I think it makes it even more difficult for IETF
participants when every WG essentially has its own rules, and that's to
IETF's detriment in general.

Well, we seem to be okay with some working groups having design teams, most not; some working groups with one chair, most with two, a few with three; some use github, many do not; some do interims, many do not; etc.

I think it's a feature, not a bug, that we allow such flexibility.

-MSK, solo