Re: [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03

Let me try to write a brief comment on this, mostly skipping
over points that several others have made...

If we could confine those who read or reference I-Ds to active
participants in the IETF who would know to check the status, I
think this proposal would work.  Even then, I'm not completely
convinced anything is broken.  That is, in part,  because we
know enough to check the datatracker when status is significant.
I'd rather see effort go into making status and
expiration-related information in the datatracker more clear and
precise.

My far greater concern is that we already have a problem with
people citing or using Internet-Drafts as IETF positions or
specifications.  Sometimes that is done maliciously or as a
deliberate misrepresentation.   Sometimes, probably more often,
it is the result of ignorance or carelessness.  The draft even
mentions an archive of I-Ds, further raising the question of how
they are different from RFFCs. The "Status of This Memo"
boilerplate does not help much: it may provide ussome legal
coverage, but it is clearly boilerplate and there is a long
history of people not reading such stuff especially if it is
more than a sentence or two long.

So. unless we want to create confusion between permanent,
carefully reviewed (even if by different processes in different
streams) RFCs, we keep expiration dates and carefully avoid
terms like "published", favoring "posted" instead.  Is an
expiration date a perfect solution for documents that may be
download and kept for future use? Of course not, but it conveys
a useful and important hint. Assuming instead that a reader will
know that they have to look elsewhere to find status is
profoundly unrealistic.

So, if were are convinced there is a problem that needs solving
(like many others, I have not been convinced yet, I suggest
considering two options, neither of which is really new:

(1) Fix the boilerplace among the lines that Scott and Brian
recommend, being careful about "work in progress" without
qualifying language _and_provide text near that "Expires" field
in the header that says something like "up-t0-date status
information available at [URL) (or providing that information in
the boilerplate but explicitly pointing to it from the header..
It seems to me that would address the alleged problem.

or

(2) Let's see if we can figure out a way that would turn into
something more like what some comments in these threads seem to
assume, e.g., document that are not available from an "archive"
except for, e.g., legal proposes with a court order but that can
be retrieved only online and in real time, with a 24 hour
expiration and an explicit pointer to the datatracker for the
next up to date version.  If that process retrieves the same
document for years, so it goes: after all, if it doesn't expire
until the datatracker says it does, that is the practical effect.

But if the IETF (and the other streams) and documents needs to
have a collection of documents that are community-approved and
that don't expire, that are posted rather than passed though a
formal publication process, and are not treated as works in
progress even on the day they are posted (much less years later
when  there is not active interest in them), ... we have RFCs
for that and the distinction should be important enough to us to
keep I-Ds as second-class, "anyone can post without any review
proceses", expiring options.

   john