Re: What problem? [Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward]

Hi,

It's been nearly 40 years since I had a similar debate with Bob Braden about how to cite Internet-Drafts
in (then) ConneXions and (now) The Internet Protocol Journal. We ended up agreeing that I should always
use the phrase "work in progress" even when that meant or implied "at the time it was published." In
other words it could be a progress. The reason for citing Internet-Drafts in print was and still is that
sometimes it is the only available source material for emerging technology. So, I to me at least, work
in progress does not imply that it is still in progress.

I frequently publish articles where only the I-D is available when the author(s) send me the source,
but I make it a habit of checking if the ID is still "live", has a new version or became an RFC before
going to print. So, yes, encouraging use of the data tracker would be the best solution IMO.

Ole