Re: [No-draft-expiry] [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

On 27.01.2024 17:54, Rob Sayre wrote:
Hi,

> Robert
>
> On 27.01.2024 02:20, Rob Sayre wrote:
> >
> > Right. So, the draft boilerplate is wrong. That is the point.
>
> If that is the point, then there is a problem with the English
> language.  Expire does not mean "disappear".
>
> Eliot

The phrase in question was:

"> Even after expiration the drafts are still alive [...]"

So, let's look at that word:
<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expired>

I think we mean the second sense there in the current text.
": no longer valid : having exceeded its period of validity"

So, are they still alive? Yes, I agree there, although that would be counter to the first sense in that dictionary. Are they invalid in some way? I can't see how, other than the label we put on them. Can they be cited? Yes, we do this regularly.

As is the case with a driver's license, it's the issuer who decides validity (that'd be us in this case).  A driver's license contains all sorts of information that is still “valid”.  My eye color, age, and height don't change just because my license becomes invalid.  What does change is that the issuer will no longer accept it nor aver to it as a license to drive a car.  I have to get a new one.  There is no difference here.  The content of an expired draft does not change, but we expect our work to continue on current drafts.  Does that mean expired drafts aren't sometimes misused?  Of course not.  After all, sometimes people will drive on expired licenses.  Doesn't make it the right thing to do.  And most people use valid licenses.

Eliot