Re: [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Hi Rich,

From: Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, 26 January 2024 at 13:59
To: Rob Wilton (rwilton) <rwilton@xxxxxxxxx>, no-draft-expiry@xxxxxxxx <no-draft-expiry@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx <ietf@xxxxxxxx>, alldispatch@xxxxxxxx <alldispatch@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

No, but I think that we really want to push people reading a draft to be aware of, and look at, the datatracker page for up-to-date information on the status of the draft.  E.g., the draft contains little information about what stage of the process it is at, and even the information that it does contain (e.g., the draft name) is not obvious/clear to those outside of IETF.  Hence, it may be helpful for the draft to also include a URL to the datatracker page for that draft.

Yes, line that says “For the latest status about this draft, please see https:/…” but generating that in the content of draft and then submitting it will require some tricky time-travel work I think.

I don’t follow.  The URL can correctly be predicted at the time that xml2rfc is being run, or during the submission process.  I don’t see any causality issues here.

But the question is if any draft status page will be useful to anyone not already knowledgeable about the IETF and how its processes work.  Look at https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tapril-ns2/ as one of zillions of examples.

So, we could generate a simpler webpage or view of datatracker.  That might help newcomers to the IETF in general, not just when reading drafts.

In other words, I think your reply would impose a greater burden on the non-IETF folks and therefore isn’t really an answer other than “no, we don’t care” which is not what I think you mean or want.

No, I’m just saying that you cannot ever reliably get the status from the draft itself, so if readers need this information then they have no choice but to look it up somewhere online that could know (or have a much better guess) as to the actual status of the document.

Regards,

Rob