Re: [Last-Call] Dnsdir telechat review of draft-ietf-6man-sids-05

Hi Petr,

> Petr Špaček via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Petr Špaček
> Review result: Ready with Issues
>
> I have been selected as the DNS Directorate reviewer for this draft.
> For more information about the DNS Directorate, please see
> https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/dnsdir
>
> This document specifies very little in terms of DNS interaction. The only
> mention I detected is this:
>
>> 5. Allocation of a Global Unicast Prefix for SIDs
>> At the present time, AAAA and PTR records for addresses assigned from this
> block SHOULD NOT be installed in the global DNS [RFC8499].
>
> Keeping my lack of understanding of SRv6 in mind, it sounds fine, or at least
> safe.
>
> From the DNS point of view, it's unclear why AAAA and PTR record types were
> singled out. IPv6-like addresses can conceivably appear in other record types
> (currently at least HTTPS and SVCB), and more types can be added tomorrow. I
> would recommend a more generic phrasing, e.g.:
>
> "At the present time, global DNS [RFC8499] SHOULD NOT reference addresses
> assigned from this block."

Thanks for your review. That sounds like a reasonable change. The reason I had specifically listed AAAA and PTR was that they were the ones specifically called out in the definition of ULAs [RFC4193] and these addresses will have similar limitations in scope. I will queue up this change and include this in the next version after the IETF telechat on 2024-02-01.

Regards
Suresh