Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-pce-pceps-tls13-02

Hi Christer.

>> Section 2.3 of RFC 8446 explains that the security provided to early data is
>> weaker than
>> the security provided to other kinds of TLS data.  This is the reason that
>> PCEPS MUST NOT
>> make use of early data.  Will a note with a pointer to this text (or a
>> pointer to the same part
>> of draft-ietf-tls-rfc8446bis) resolve this minor issue?
>
> The second Note already points to the text in Section 2.3 of 8446. My issue is
> not the fact that early data security is weaker, but why that is an issues for
> PCEPS. Is there some specific property of requirement for PCEPS behind the
> MUST NOT?

We are simply saying that PCEPS MUST NOT use early data.  We could not find a case where it is needed today, and we are concerned that sone future evolution of PCEPS might use it without understanding the associated security risk.

Russ