Re: [Last-Call] Artart Last Call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-20

Paul,

Thanks for the reassurance. See [BB]

On 07/11/2023 15:49, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
On 11/7/23 7:42 AM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for checking this. See [BB]

On 25/10/2023 19:54, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
Document: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-20
Reviewer: Paul Kyzivat
Review Date: 2023-10-25
IETF LC End Date: 2023-11-02
IESG Telechat date: ?

This is a clear and well written document. I have no substantive issues.

I ran the IdNits tool and it reported a number of things that should be checked and possibly corrected. I won't repeat most of them them here.

Among them were a number of lines with non-ascii characters. I investigated these and all seem to be unintentional - apparently a non-printing character.

I can never understand whether I am meant to take note of these non-ASCII warnings.

Like a number of the drafts I've been taking through to RFC recently, this is a v old draft, that was written in xml2rfc v2. My wysiwig XML editor stlil only supports v2. So at the end of WGLC, I converted the doc to xml2rfc v3 (using the author tools) which replaces all the v2 XML entities like   with the non-ascii equivalent. So then, I manually tweaked the v3 XML necessary to define the various XML entities for the non-ascii characters again, and replaced all their occurrences. Then, when the author tool produces the txt, it outputs all the instances of XML entities again to non-ASCII characters in the txt.

What is wrong with that? And I thought I was following the guidelines (I also asked Jay and followed his advice as to which online advice to follow)? So am I meant to follow the guidelines, or am I meant to take note of the warnings in the nits? I'm perplexed.

There may be *nothing* wrong here. IdNits is calling it out, but sometimes it is over-zealous.

OTOH, in this case I *think* the non-ascii chars are some sort of whitespace. If these are indeed &nbsp and that is important then I have no issue.

nbsp was just an example. This draft uses others that are not whitespace; specifically, all of:
<!DOCTYPE rfc [
  <!ENTITY nbsp    "&#160;">
  <!ENTITY ouml     "&#246;">
  <!ENTITY ndash     "&#8211;">
  <!ENTITY mdash     "&#8212;">
]>

I don't understand why we have tools that correctly produce non-ascii txt, and author instructions on how to use them, but then other tools warn us not to do this. Is this just that idnits hasn't caught up?

Bob

    Thanks,
    Paul