Re: Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard

On 8/12/2004 5:18 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:

> The information about the mbox format being anecdotally defined is
> incorrect. The mbox format has traditionally been documented in the
> binmail(1) or mail.local(8) man pages (BSD UNIX derivatives) or mail(1)
>  man page (UNIX System 3/5/III/V derivatives).

I checked each of those and none of them seem to adequately describe the
message or database format.

> The most complete description of an mbox format can be seen in the man
> page from any UNIX System Vr4 derived system, such as Solaris.
>
> The description found in http://qmail.org./man/man5/mbox.html, referred
> to at the end of Appendix A, does cover these variations fairly
> succinctly. However Appendix A doesn't cover the variations properly.

Do you have a specific URL to a specific man page that you think would be
appropriate and authoritative?

I spent a while looking (see also http://makeashorterlink.com/?X61D16909
for example), and couldn't find anything that seemed to be authoritative
enough to reference.