Re: [Last-Call] [COSE] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-cose-cwt-claims-in-headers-07

On Nov 2, 2023, at 18:11, Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> access token verification

That term (and its variants) is the start of the problem.

Of course you can validate an access token, then you know that you have a valid access token.
But you also need to find out whether that access token actually authorizes access!
Mixing up these two functions (one can be entirely in a library, the other needs application logic) is likely to be one of the biggest reasons for problems around using tokens.

Developing developer-friendly terminology may not have been on our initial list of security topics, but we now know it needs to be done.

(Now I have no idea why this note is in this thread.)

Grüße, Carsten