Appeal to IAB of IESG appeal decision on Meeting Guidance (update)

IAB,

It has been brought to my attention off-list that the link I
supplied in my appeal message was not correctly copied and
pasted and therefore did not work and that it might have been of
help to you had I been more clear about what I would like the
IAB to do.  This update note is intended to correct that error
and omission and provide some other links for your convenience.
It does not change the substance of the appeal.

Links (all now tested):

The Interim Meeting Guidance statement referred to as the
"Guidance Statement" in the appeal to you (2023-08-14):
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/interim-meetings-guidance/

My original appeal to the IESG (2023-08-15):
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/rXEBl6DmFUl8i9rBJYMM0c3SsT4/

The IESG response to that appeal (2023-08-24) (correcting the
former link identified as [1] in the appeal to you):
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/v5MAgNfCv4d8AGAyfzauWR_3tl8/

My appeal to the IAB on Monday (2023-10-23):
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/HOer0iird34kdOG0csFQPPyPAKE/

For completeness, the Appeal Procedures and the IAB's role in
them appears in Section 6.5.2 of RFC 2026.  Some language below
is borrowed from that section.

Desired IAB Action:

As my appeal statement indicated in its division into "Original
Appeal Issues" and "Higher-level/ More General Issues", I
believe the IAB can approach the appeal and a response in two
ways (identified as "Strategies" below).  One is to focus on the
narrower issues and ignore the more general one, while the other
is to look, more architecturally in a way, at the general
issues.  I strongly prefer you do the latter because I think it
would be better for the community.  In particular, I have
noticed unrest in the community about the application and scope
of some other IESG Statements and believe looking only at the
narrow issues is likely to lead to additional appeals the next
time the IESG concludes that it is appropriate to expand upon or
reinterpret an IETF Consensus procedural document, published in
the RFC Series as a BCP, by drafting a Statement, soliciting
comments on the draft Statement, and then publishing the
Statement, especially if the latter is agreed to by an
unrecorded vote.  It is perhaps worth stressing that, while
these two strategies represent broader and narrower scope, it is
not clear which one is more or less drastic.

Specifically,
Broader/ More General Strategy:

I request that the IAB review the specific situation with the
Guidance Statement and work with the IESG to produce a new
statement that, at least, requires AD notification of all plans
for Interim Meetings (offline as well as online) and that allows
community scrutiny, possibly at AD request, when WGs plan very
large numbers of online interim meetings.

I also request that the IAB, in a manner of its choosing, see
that a process is initiated to determine how revisions and
clarifications to BCP-level procedural documents that specify
IETF procedures and structures should be handled, a process that
will better ensure openness, fairness, and accountability of
decision-makers.  I assume, and hope the IAB will assume, that
the result will parallel the procedures for developing and
approving documents that standardize technical protocols and
procedures (as outlined in RFC 2026 as amended) but will
recognize the differences where technical matters (e.g.,
"technical viability") are not involved.

Narrower Version, setting the higher-level issues aside for
future discussion:

I request that the IAB annul the IESG decision to approve and
publish the 2023-08-14 "Guidance on In-Person and Online Interim
Meetings" and its immediate predecessors on the grounds that the
procedure of IESG drafting, IESG solicitation of comments, IESG
review and adoption by an unrecorded vote, and IESG processing
of any appeals, also by unrecorded vote, is inconsistent with
principles of community development of documents, development
and documentation of community consensus (including the IESG
making determinations about that consensus by recorded vote) and
the general principles of openness and fairness called for in
RFC 2026 and elsewhere.  Such an action would recognize that the
IESG exceeded its authority in adopting both the Guidance
Statement and the procedure used to review and publish it.

I hope that, if this narrower version is chosen, that the IAB
would also, in a manner of its own choosing, establish, or work
with the IESG to establish, interim guidance on key issues
within the scope of the Guidance Document and adhering as
narrowly as possible to the rules of RFC 2418, guidance that can
be applied until more permanent guidance can be developed
through a more normal procedure, presumably starting with an
Internet Draft building on and updating RFC 2418.

thanks,
   john