Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 22 October 2023 23:53

a) I find it most curious that this mail thread has not generated a response like

   "please unsubscribe me from this list".

   This definitely is a big difference over the IETF mailing list from the past.
   And unfortunately not a good one, because people have not become more cluefull about email.

b) I do not think that the insufficiencies of specific MUAs with IMAP should be reasons to
   change what happens on the list, but this seems to be the reason for
   Paul starting this thread. Btw.: i too now read this list via IMAP, and it sucks.
   I wish my IMAP MUA was better, no technical reason not to support filterinf for example.

c) I like the bot as a quaint historical artefact. A URL at the bottom of each of its email
   pointing to some explanation would be useful for newcomers to understand its (historic)
   purpose.

<tp>
Please no.  URL are just a another chance for webmail to breach my privacy and put junk on my PC.

Tom Petch

d) I suggest for creating a new "Machine Intelligence" IETF area. The bot should then
   become part of the  charter of a WG for "AI in messaging" to further tackle the subject.
   We should also have a separate cross-technology WG in the area about
   "Protocol considerations for Human responsibilty in AI" and a WG for
   "Measuring the impact of AI on society - and vice versa".

Cheers
    Toerless

P.S.: Sorry, classical escapism with IETF118 deadline drawing closer.

--
---
tte@xxxxxxxxx