Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-intarea-rfc7042bis-09

Hi Dale,

Thanks for this review. See below.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 4:05 PM Dale Worley via Datatracker
<noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reviewer: Dale Worley
> Review result: Ready with Nits

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document:  draft-ietf-intarea-rfc7042bis-09
> Reviewer:  Dale R. Worley
> Review Date:  2023-10-06
> IETF LC End Date:  2023-10-12
> IESG Telechat date:  [unknown]

>     This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that
>     should be fixed before publication.
>
> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> In section 3. Ethernet Protocol Parameters, it says
>
>    Using this EtherType, a frame body can begin with
>
>       88-B7-yy-yy-yy-zz-zz
>
>    where yy-yy-yy and zz-zz have the same meaning as in the SNAP format
>    described above.
>
> Since the previous paragraph notes for another format "The five-octet
> length for such OUI-based protocol identifiers results ... in the
> preservation of 16-bit alignment.", it might be worth stating
> explicitly that the EtherType 88B7 format does not preserve 16-bit
> alignment.

Fixed in version -10.

> The largest item is the handling of the references to the various
> registries, which seem to be inconsistent.  It's possible that the
> variations in how they are referenced is based on some references
> being defining/authoritative and others not, but I did not spot any
> consistent pattern.
>
> Looking for "web page", "registry", "address family", and "table" gets
> 40+ hits, most of which are references to specific IANA registries.
> My current opinion is that these ideally should be proper references
> in the document, with the reference giving the canonical registry name
> and the full IANA URL, e.g. "SNAP Protocol Numbers,
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers/ethernet-numbers.xhtml#ethernet-numbers-6";.

I believe the current official IANA term for a web page with one or
more registries on it is "registry group". (see
https://www.iana.org/help/protocol-registration) so I've gone through
and made this update.

> Currently, only two registries are given full references:
>
>    [EthernetNum]
>               IANA, "Ethernet Numbers",
>               <http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers>.
>
>    [PPPNum]   IANA, "PPP Numbers",
>               <http://www.iana.org/assignments/ppp-numbers>.
>
> But perhaps there are too many registries mentioned to make that
> workable.

I think adding such references for every mentioned registry would be
somewhat unworkable for very little return.

Thanks,
Donald