Re: Pay fees to set the direction

On 10/3/23 19:00, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Nobody is denying the sociological advantages of attending meetings.
But the IETF has consistently tried to mitigate them. (And if people
choose to avoid such mitigation, for example by choosing not to be
on the last-call list, or this list, that is their own problem.)

There's a tremendous volume on the last call list, the time required to actually understand what's being proposed by each last call is immense, and by the time a document has reached Last Call it's generally too late to fix most kinds of problems with the document.   (I didn't say every kind of problem.)   So while I believe that both Last Calls and the last call list are necessary, I doubt that following the Last Call list is an effective way to mitigate any of the advantages of attending meetings.

Keith