RE: Pay fees to set the direction

I’ve seen a couple of comments that participants are being priced out of remote participation, but I don’t understand why that should be the case.

If you haven’t already done so, it might be worth reading
draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-09, which is in the RFC editor queue, so should become an RFC shortly.

My interpretation of the current state of play is:

  1. Companies that can afford to pay for their employees to participate remotely should pay (to share the costs of running the meeting).
  2. However, the IETF consensus is that fees should never be a barrier to remote participation, and hence if they ever are, then it is entirely reasonable and appropriate to make use of the free option not to pay for remote attendance (currently implemented as a fee waiver).

So, if SMEs have people who they would like to attend remotely, but they cannot afford or justify the remote fee, then IMO, making use of the fee waiver is entirely reasonable and justifiable, even if no justification needs to be provided.

Regards,

Rob