Re: Pay fees to set the direction

On 10/1/23 14:21, S Moonesamy wrote:

Hi Keith,

I created a new thread and changed the subject time.

At 09:22 AM 01-10-2023, Keith Moore wrote:
Some ADs might have had a bit less workload, but I think everyone had a lot of work.   And the travel requirement is still a problem. Few employers and few individuals have the money or time to spare to pay for activities that don't produce revenue.  And that unfortunately means that almost everyone on IESG works for a large corporation, and the organization as a whole pays too much attention to corporate interests at the expense of the broader Internet community.

I noticed the following sentence on the web site: "This lack of membership ensures its position as the primary neutral [in italics] standards body because participants cannot exert influence as they could in a pay-to-play organization where members, companies, or governments pay fees to set the direction."
LOL.   The truth is, pretty much everyone who participates effectively in IETF either pays to play or (more likely) has someone paying for them to play.   Paying doesn't ensure that you get influence, but you can't get much influence without paying.

I used to follow IETF meetings at very odd hours.  I refrained from doing that since the pay-to-play fee was instituted.  I am aware that the IETF has a "last-call" mailing list as part of the open comment period before the IESG takes a decision on a proposal.
I'm also concerned about the current requirement to pay if you participate remotely.   And yes, I'm aware of the fee waiver, but you're only eligible if you couldn't pay to participate otherwise. I understand that remote participation has significant costs that need to be recovered somehow, but I believe the current remote participation fees are far too high and do serve as barriers to participation.

From what I recall, the IESG members disclose the name of their employers.  It should be possible for figure out whether an IESG member is primarily focused on their employer's interests.
It's not only participants' employers' interests that I'm concerned about.  The normalization of corporate culture in IETF has done tremendous harm to IETF and its ability to serve the Internet community.   For example very many people have abandoned the concept of interoperability (at least at layers above transport) and vendor independence, in favor of the idea that the Internet exists to support proprietary applications.

It is unclear whether the IETF of today, in comparison with the IETF of yesteryears, pays too much attention to corporate interests at the expense of the Internet community.

That's another important thing that's difficult to measure.

Keith