Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-12.txt> (YANG Data Models for the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx <mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 25 September 2023 13:29

Hi Tom,

(as doc Shepherd)

Please see inline two specific points.

<tp>
Med
No and no.

I did mention in my comments that 'source-type'  is olny used in the Appendix examples so yes I have seen that.  You need much more than a worked example to have a Normative YANG module, assuming that 'source-type' is intended  to be Normative part of the current YANG module and not something for future study..

Second, the examples do not use the values provided for documentation.    Example values for use in documentation are defined and most authors use them, but not here. (This is a good way to undermine the internet since plenty of users do not know what is meant to be an example not to be used in anger and what is Normative and must be used only as is; that is why we have many RFC specifying values to be used in documentation!)

Tom Petch

Cheers,
Med

[Med] This is actually used in example-vendor-alto-data-source:

      when 'derived-from-or-self(alto:source-type,'
         + '"yang-datastore")';

Section 5.4.1 includes a pointer to that appendix. I trust the authors will update the text for better clarity.

> Appendix A
> examples should use the values reserved for documentation use

[Med] There is no such a thing for the prefix to be used by an example module. We may discuss the need as part of the ongoing rfc8407bis effort.

draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang already adheres to this part from RFC8407:

   Example modules are non-normative and SHOULD be named with the prefix
   "example-".

...but I think you are right that some better names can be used to avoid confusion. At least, the authors may consider updating the modules names/prefixes: s/vendor-/example-.