Re: Port independent web services

On 9/12/23 01:23, Sagar Acharya wrote:

As mentioned in RFC 6186, there are SRV records for specific services, i.e. in above document of mail submission and in many others.

My suggestion lies with regards to making each and every web service completely independent with respect to port on which it is hosted. Getting ports for each service can be done via SRV records. A/AAAA, and SRV records make a complete system thereby helping making routing extremely simple. (xyz ip at port srv)

Since every web service has its own URI, SRV records don't work well to specify ports for web services.

Furthermore, different apps use ports in different ways, and SRV records assume that every app uses ports in the same way.

Universal use of SRV records also breaks compatibility with applications' existing use of ports.

That's why every app that wants to  use SRV records really needs to specify for itself how those SRV records are to be used, and also, how to manage the compatibility issues with earlier uses of ports by that app.

With today's progress in NLP, it is no longer possible to differentiate human mails from those of bots.

While I agree with that statement as written, I don't see what that has to do with ports or SRV records.

Keith