Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

--On Friday, September 8, 2023 07:44 -0700 Martin Duke
<martin.h.duke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The IESG proposes to reorganize the areas by merging the
> web-related working groups in ART with most of the transport
> area to create a new area called either "Web and Application
> Transport" (WAT) or "Transport and Web Applications"
> (TWA), effective at IETF 119. The IESG invites community
> comment on this change.

I agree with many of the comments that have been made,
particularly Stephen's suggestions that (my words) the problems
that are being seen are actually structural problems and that it
is time to rethink some basic organizational structures and
assumptions rather than shuffling a few WGs and titles around.
It has been more then 30 years since the post-Kobe POISED work
started and put the current structures into place, a period in
which the Internet has evolved from a good idea needing a lot of
work to a mature technology.  Within the general IETF framework,
we have seen, among other things:

 * Evolution of the IESG from largely technical part-time
	positions carried out to aid the community, to more of a
	management role requiring larger percentages of time and
	leading, even with the additional commitment, to
  assertions of serious overload and workarounds for it
 * A situation in which two ADs per Area was still
	unusual, to larger percentages of time with debates
	about whether two should be a requirement (sometimes
	with three)
 * Expanding responsibilities for the IETF Chair
	sufficient that we now have
	draft-eggert-ietf-chair-may-delegate on the table
 * An externally supported (and largely managed)
	tiny Secretariat function evolving to the IAOC and
  then to an LLC with a significant budget and a
  relatively larger number of employees and contractors.
 * A document review process that more or less assumed
	broad community involvement and technical depth along
	with deep substantive knowledge by responsible ADs in
	most cases evolving to a model that is heavily dependent
	on Are review teams and rotating assignments.
 * Debates over whether, in their extreme form, the IESG
	should have a technical role at all or whether it
	should be entirely a management body responsible for
	delegating the technical work to others and overseeing
	their efforts.  If carried to an extreme, the latter
  view would suggest that we may not need Areas at all.
 * Development of a perceived need to review, modernize,
   adapt, and/or upgrade protocols that have been around
   for all of those thirty years or longer, with large
   installed bases 	rather than almost exclusively
   doing new work.
 * A Nomcom model that has evolved from a fairly
	lightweight time commitment to fill slightly more than
	a dozen positions on the IESG and IAB based on
	first-hand knowledge by Nomcom members of the community
	(including most of the plausible candidates) and those
	roles to one requiring understanding more roles,
	detailed (and sometimes negotiated) job descriptions,
	very significant time commitments, interviews with
	candidates, and so on, possibly with the result of a
	declining fraction of the Nomcom voting membership being
	thoroughly familiar with the community and vice versa.
 * Arguments about scope of authority for WG Chairs, ADs
	and the IESG, and the IAB and various organizations and
	groups we had not even thought about it in 1993.
 * In the first half of the 1990s, with rare (but
	important) exceptions, WGs were expected to be quite
	focused on specific work and relatively short-lived.
	One implication of that was that ADs inheriting a
	significant number of WGs that had been chartered years
	earlier was relatively rate.  To at least some extent, a
	consequence was that the number of active WGs stayed
	fairly small.   Today, we have more very long lived WGs
	and more ADs who did not personally agree to, and sign
	off on, the charters under which those WGs operate.
 * And, because I can't resist, a shift from getting
	things done with a combination of mailing lists and
	three f2f meetings a year (with _occasional_ interim
	meetings (mostly f2f) of some WGs) toward significant
	online or hybrid participation, new collaboration
  tools like Github, more interim meetings (mostly
  online), and so on.

I'm sure there is disagreement about that list, including things
that I omitted and others that should be dropped.  I make no
claim about whether any given change is good or bad --in several
cases I don't even know how to think about that.  But that list,
or ones like it, seem to me to make a very strong case for a
comprehensive review and reevaluation, not just, e.g., moving a
few chairs around on the deck and hoping it makes a difference.

In the hope that anyone (especially busy IESG members) has read
this far, two comments specific to this proposal if you are
considering going ahead despite the above and other comments:

(1) Despite a few suggestions on the list about treating this
move as an experiment, such an experiment would actually be
high-risk rather than zero-cost.  It would either make things
somewhat better (for reasons given by others, I have trouble
imagining hugely better, especially in the near term) or they
would make it worse.   Due only partially to the huge number of
WGs and despite superhuman efforts on Murray's part, several
(perhaps even many) of the WGs in the ART Area are arguably in
trouble (e.g., out of sync with other work in the IETF included
completed work and/or with very small numbers of active
participants other than the chairs).  With Francesca's return
and the (IMO, long overdue) addition of a third AD, I have high
hopes about that situation getting under control, maybe even
well on the way to being under control by March.  But disrupting
the situation by shuffling WGs into new Areas, with new review
teams, possibly directorates, and ways of doing things, seems to
me to be an invitation to disruption of work and/or important
issues slipping through the cracks.  If this change is
worthwhile (I obviously have my doubts), this feels like the
wrong time to make it.

(2)  While the estimates about length of time differ, most newly
selected ADs who have not been on the IESG before have observed
that getting up to speed and being able to work effectively
takes a significant amount of time, with the lower estimates
I've heard recently being in months, not days or weeks.  If we
stay the current course, the new, third, ART AD will have
Francesca, and possibly Murray, to help get them read in and
fill in any temporary gaps.  But, under the proposed plan that
moves Francesca to the new area, unless the IESG has somehow cut
a deal with the Nomcom and Murray that guarantees his return,
there is a risk of ending up with an ART (or whatever it might
be called) Area with two ADs, both of whom are new to the job
with expectations of support (on technical issues as well as
administrative/management ones) from a newly reorganized area
that is still trying to sort out its own organization and way of
doing things.  Perhaps a miracle would occur, but that seems to
me to be a recipe for disaster.

best,
   john