Re: [Tools-discuss] interactive messaging follies, was The IETF's email

It appears that Keith Moore  <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>What I currently have in mind for implementation of interactive email is
>(a) messages can include "objects" that are rendered as text, images,
>buttons, forms, etc. by the recipient's mail reader.

Sounds a lot like HTML forms.

>For example, let's say I email a technical proposal to an IETF WG
>list.   Other list participants could then vote up/down on that proposal
>(or specific sections of that proposal) by clicking buttons associated
>with a poll object in the email (e.g. "do you prefer approach A or
>B?").  The current vote totals would always be visible to anyone viewing
>that original email, and readers could change old votes if/when the
>proposal text improved. ...

You really should look at the schema.org stuff and the SML WG. It
already has a long list of complex objects you send in mail messages
to allow people to collaborate in various ways. The code to use them
is invariably written in Javascript, typically loaded from a file on a
server and run in the browser, because these days that's how people
write everything.

Given the rule of thumb that our standards are most successful when they
formalize existing practice, it seems like the right place to start.

R's,
John