Re: [Tools-discuss] formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/21/23 12:04, John Levine wrote:

Right, and these are nice features to have.    But HTML in email is a
slippery slope.   It's hard to draw the line to say exactly how much
HTML/CSS/JS/etc. is too much to use in email. ...
Oddly, people outside the IETF don't seem to have any problem.  Any format
you can add in popular MUAs like Outlook or Thynderbird or webmail like
Gmail or O365 renders fine in all of the others.

No, it works just as poorly for people outside of IETF in long chains of replies as it does for everyone else.

(One difference might be that many corporations have standardized on a particular MUA for their internal communications, and - when using ONLY that MUA - the results are somewhat more palatable than when  using a wide variety of MUAs.   But IETF, unlike many corporations, really needs to be able to have long conversations using standard tools rather than requiring one vendor's tools.   And promoting cross-vendor interoperability is kind of our reason for existence.  So if we put our heads in the sand and claim it's not a problem, we're shirking our responsibility and again, may as well disband.)

Keith