Re: [Tools-discuss] formatting follies, was The IETF's email

It appears that John C Klensin  <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> said:
>Now that particular argument is interesting, of only
>historically.  The one piece of the puzzle the IETF mostly did
>invent was something called "Rich Text".  IIR (it has been years
>since I looked at the spec and don't have time today) it would
>have given you bold and italics and, if wanted, section
>headings.  I don't remember what it would have done about
>controversial than your statement above indicates.  Nor do I
>know whether what Microsoft and others call Rich Text today is
>the same thing or compatible. ...

That's RFC 1896. It looks a lot like a subset of HTML. It assumes
headings, though you can fake it with <bigger> and <bold>.

I think that what happened is that by the mid 1990s computer systems
all had shared libraries, and once you have a web browser, one of
those libraries is an HTML renderer. It's a lot easier to feed a
text/html part into that existing library than to write a separate
stripped down text/enriched renderer. Going the other way, there are
HTML editors for web tools which your MUA could just borrow.

I expect this isn't a very popular viewpoint in this crowd, but if you
can assume all of your readers can render HTML, you can do some nice
stuff in your mail. I often get mail from clients where they have a
question about what I wrote so they put the question at the top and
highlight the quoted text of interest in yellow. That is about two
clicks in an HTML editor.

R's,
John