Re: [Tools-discuss] The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

On 8/18/23 19:40, Martin Thomson wrote:

Are we going to tackle this mess?
I am going to suggest that the only rational response here is to say “no”.

There are many factors at play here, most of them not being technical in nature. Fundamentally, this is a matter of discipline in communications, something that tooling is not well suited to help with. It is a human problem.

To me it seems like the existing tooling (more generally, code) is part of the problem.  So I don't see how we can address the problem without changing the tooling.

But yes, we need for the tooling to facilitate good choices by humans, not for the tooling to try to dictate good choices by humans.   That's the general situation with user interfaces in communications tools, and the tools often get it wrong.

Keith