Re: [Tools-discuss] The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Ultimately, this is a community decision, and it very much is more of a
    > social rather than technical problem.

Mostly.  There are some technical aspects hidden, and as the owners of the
email specifications, the IETF really needs to take the lead on a few things.

1. Marking emails as text/plain; format=flowed correctly is one of them.
2. The mail archives do not render text/html, but apparently do store it.
   I'd like to see that change actually: I don't think we should keep it
   either.
   I am concerned that our visible archives contains thousands and
   thousands of tracking links.   Not only do they catch people unawares, but
   they also break.

    > Does that mean that community is dominated by old gray-beards?  Not
    > hardly.  An analysis for the number of contributors to the Linux kernel
    > over time show a consistent number of new, first-time contributors
    > every Linux kernel release:

I think that this is an iceberg issue: the clear community standard around
the formats suggests that there are other community standards of behaviour
that matter.  (They might, btw, not all be positive, but they exist)

I think that this why the linux kernel community is not ossified.
Also, if a contributor ignore the standards of behaviour, then they won't
make any progress.  That's not true in the IETF.

The fact that the IETF can't observe it's own specifications for email, says
that it probably won't be observing it's code of conduct.

(Thank you for posting this Ted)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )