[Last-Call] SECDIR Review of draft-ietf-oauth-browser-based-apps.all@xxxxxxxx

Dear interested IETFers,

IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat

The summary of the review is ready with nit.

I found this document exceptionally well written: it defines cogently
the problem statement, ways to avoid the problem, and then outlines
various architectures and a discussion of the benefits and precautions
to be taken in each one. It makes actionable recommendations that can
be understood by the broad audience that needs to read this and use
oauth in browser based apps. However I am compelled to quibble with
the choice of threat model and some of the statements about compromise
of the client.

If a client has malware that can inspect the browser, then the
precautions about storage of keys etc. are irrelevant as the attacker
can delete the token or block access to the TPM and force a login,
then obtain the user credentials and use them to log into the server.
Even the use of a Webauthn device for user login is subject to this
attack, even with token binding. (Simply proxy to the device). Taking
precautions to avoid the token being removed strikes me as
superfluous. It does make sense to e.g. avoid history leaks or XSS or
CSRF attacks, as mitigations to those do stop more limited attackers.
But I'm unclear on preventing tricky attacks when an attacker with
that power in the threat model wins anyway through the obvious means.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

--
Astra mortemque praestare gradatim