Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

It appears that Keith Moore  <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On 7/31/23 13:00, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>> No, they aren't. Cryptography is binary but stopping pedophiles is not.
>
>There's a *lot* of fuzz around what CSAM is.   One of the many problems
>with detecting CSAM is that it requires knowledge of things that aren't
>present in the image, like the precise date at which the image was taken
>and the birthday(s) of the subject(s) involved. ...

While that is technically true, it is a red herring.  People I know
who deal with CSAM tell me that the stuff they are concerned with
is small children having horrible things done do them.

I realize there are opportunistic politicians freaking out about teens
who send each other nude selfies but (disregarding the somewhat
separate issue of revenge porn) that's not the problem.

>Everyone needs to understand that a likely effect of any CSAM
>countermeasure is to increase the distribution and production of CSAM,
>and with it the number of victims.

Um, what?

R's,
John