Re: [117attendees] Privacy and IETF participation (was: Re: Hilton room rates (Was: IETF 117 - thanks and afterthoughts))

Hi John,

I think I agree with all your points, at least in a first quick read, and then I realized something else.

Are we checking “real names” of participants? I mean, we can have participants that may be contribute to discussions, only by email, or even remotely without using a camera, and they use an “anonymous” email and in a draft, they are free to not fill in phone number, address, employee, etc..

I can imagine also even them coming to the meetings, and using a fake name. Nobody is actually checking real identity of all the participants (we don’t ask for an ID or passport and verify the authenticity of those documents), and I recall Jim Fleming and other folks that we see from time to time … So no allowing the participants to hide their identity or not be present in attendance list is not enforceable, because we don’t check authenticity of people. Is then the “enforcing" possible? Is that a sign that the IETF transparency is not based on who is who but in actual contributions?

Regards,
Jordi

@jordipalet