RE: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

> Did public transportation get better in Silicon Valley in recent years? I remember having a very hard time getting anywhere that was not in front of a Caltrain station, unless I had a car.

> The unavailability of good public transportation would on its own be a reason to rule out any meeting venue, on cost, practical and environmental factors.

It has improved, but is not great – downtown San Jose has reasonable light rail (tram) service, which comes close enough to the San Jose airport (SJC) to be both usable and annoying, and there should be enough hotels there to accommodate IETF.  I don’t know about meeting space availability there, aside from the convention center.  While the Santa Clara convention center is likely large enough to accommodate IETF, public transit there is marginal and there is a shortage of hotel rooms within walking distance.

OTOH, international flights into the SJC airport are limited, to put it politely, and getting to San Jose from the SFO airport on public transportation can be a pain.

Thanks, --David