Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

On 7/27/23 08:22, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

There should be a way for the organization to review its output
after a while, especially if new viewpoints and needs have arisen,
It's certainly a weakness of the IETF, this lack of documentation for
previous decisions (but it is hardly specific to the IETF). The
problem is that such documentation takes a lot of time and effort,
probably as much as writing a RFC, since it may be hard to gather a
consensus on why we did not do this or that. I'm afraid we will lack
volunteers.

Such documents should clearly not be consensus documents and perhaps not even be RFCs.  Perhaps it would still be useful to record a list of participants' positions in the datatracker (for those willing to state their positions), and a number of votes for and against each.

Keith