Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

Ok, I've calmed down perhaps enough to respond constructively.

I'm going to try to NOT address the misandry and racial bias in the message, at least in this thread, mostly because I think it's not likely to lead to a productive discussion - or at least, I think talking about the other parts of the blog post is more likely to be productive.  If people want to discuss the prejudices with me via private email, feel free.   If people really want to discuss them on the ietf@ list, I'll ask that they use a different subject line.

I'm also going to resist the temptation to talk about the problems associated with prosecution of CSAM-related offenses, and of surveillance powers granted to law enforcement ostensibly to fight such crimes.   Again, if you want to discuss in private email, feel free, but I think it would be a rathole here and somewhat distant from IETF's scope.

***

- The author points out that strong challenge is "tolerated" in IETF.   Whether he realizes this or not, to be intolerant of strong challenge would be detrimental to IETF's work in several ways.   In no particular order: such intolerance actually discriminates in favor of the status quo (good or bad) since it often is quite frustrating to argue against what everyone is accustomed to.   Such intolerance discriminates against people with less power than others (for whatever reason), and in favor of people who represent or are supported by powerful organizations (including large corporations).   Such intolerance discriminates against people who are dealing with various kinds of adversity for other reasons, including but not limited to creative people, intelligent and twice-exceptional people, neuro-divergent people, and anyone who sees things from an unconventional point-of-view.    Such intolerance discriminates in favor of people from cultures which are hostile to challenging the status quo.  IETF desperately needs input from "challenging" points-of-view, because often it's only the challenged individuals who are willing to speak truth to power.

I would argue, based on the past few years' experience, that IETF has become very intolerant and hostile to divergent voices, especially those of neuro-divergent and twice-exceptional persons, and that this is directly counterproductive to IETF's mission.   This for me is IETF's biggest current problem by far.  By contrast, when IETF's radical tolerance of even those who occasionally made other participants uncomfortable used to be IETF's biggest strength (again, IMO).

- Re: "IETF takes things that are 70% done and takes them that last 30%".   While this is sometimes true, I don't like it as a generalization, because when people see that as a template it unnecessarily constrains the work.   I would agree, though, that IETF works best when it has at least one concrete proposal for initial discussion, whether or not it uses that proposal as a basis for its finished work.

- It's certainly the case that an IETF WG participant needs to subscribe to and keep up with the WG's mailing list.   This is a mixed blessing.   The heavy use of mailing lists is both inclusive (at least in theory participants should not have to travel to face-to-face meetings to participate effectively) and exclusive (because it's generally necessary to get "in the loop" early, and commit significant time to stay in the loop for years, in order to usefully influence the outcome).   Heavy use of interim meetings (whether virtual or not) degrade the inclusiveness, as does over-use of design teams.   Use of mailing lists has become less effective than it once was for several reasons: increased use of HTML email, increased use of handheld mobile devices to read/answer email (and correspondingly shortened attention spans for both reading and replying), and differentiation in user interface between mail user agents (including but not only webmail).   Use of github also has degraded the once-inclusive nature of mailing list conversations, and at least the expectation of using xml2rfc has added barriers to effective participation, because not everyone is skilled at using those tools.  (By contrast, I'd judge the datatracker to be a huge positive.)

- I note that the author's ability to set up a side meeting to discuss an area of the author's concern demonstrates that there's still some inclusive spirit in IETF, and willingness to discuss controversial (and in this case actually quite threatening) topics.

- The problem of rehashing old discussions is a longstanding problem in IETF, one that I've seen for the entire history of my participation.   We can't endlessly rehash old discussions because that's exhausting, and because it tends to lead to decisions being overturned due to exhaustion rather than because of any kind of merit.   A related problem is that the people who originally made such decisions may have passed away or moved on from IETF, and not be in a position to explain why those old decisions still have merit.   So over the long term there's an alarming tendency for IETF to favor naivete over experience, and also to favor change for change's sake over stability, that I'm seeing more and more.

And yet, clearly we need to be able to both retain memory of reasons for old decisions AND be able to reconsider old decisions once in awhile.  Just not continuously.

- "the IETF itself does not develop anything, it creates\debates\ratifies new or existing internet technologies that are seeking standardisation. I proposed that even if the community as a whole does not agree with filtering, if it is happening or going to happen, then the IETF does have a role in documenting best practice, creating standards which do not impinge on user privacy."

First of all, the premise is misinformation.  IETF does develop some things and SHOULD develop some things.  IETF SHOULD NOT constrain itself to only refining ratifying technologies developed by others.  This is one of many bits of unfortunate and misleading but commonly-repeated IETF lore, and I wish we'd quash it somehow.

I would tentatively and cautiously agree with the author of that post that IETF should have a role in documenting best practice.  If I use the somewhat-less-controversial example of spam filtering, there's a tremendous amount of poor practice in deployment, that has a tremendous adverse effect on the reliability of email as experienced by users.   I believe IETF could at least somewhat improve this situation by citing some good practices (if any can be found) and calling out poor practices.

On the other hand, it's always dangerous for IETF to make statements of the form "if you must do this bad thing, please do it this way rather than this other way".   One very real danger is that such a statement will be taken as an endorsement of the bad thing, or inadvertently encourage that bad thing, no matter how that statement is labeled (say, informational vs. BCP).

In making such decisions, IETF should always consider BOTH balance of harm AND  likely long-term effects.   While production of CSAM is no doubt a heinous crime, it would be dangerously naive to assume that surveillance capability won't be misused AND that mechanisms intended to protect people's privacy won't be deliberately degraded over time, because those attacking such mechanisms (whether or not they are considered to be on the side of "good") have a nearly-inherent long-term advantage over those developing the protective mechanisms.   And even if one strongly believes that the cause is just, it may be naive to assume that the surveillance capability will have any positive benefit at all.

One question that IETF should always ask is: If this technology were deployed and found to do far more harm than good, could it be effectively prevented from doing further harm, without trusting the parties benefiting from the technology to Do The Right Thing?

And for those who think IETF has no business having an opinion about such tradeoffs, I respond that we're some of the few people in a position to effectively advocate for people's legitimate privacy interests.  Governments, in particular, will always be biased against such interests (no matter what they claim).   Governments' desire for (the delusion of) omniscience is too great to keep people safe, just like many governments' desire for nuclear weapons is too great to keep people safe.  As for big corporations, even those claiming to care about their customers' privacy, seem to really be more interested in monetizing customers' data for their own benefit.   And quite often they collude with governments to the detriment of everyone's privacy.

(Note that it's a huge stretch to imply that support for detecting or suppressing CSAM in the Internet is in any way "best practice".   That's at best a very one-sided argument.  It's also a huge stretch for the author to claim that he represents "civil society" any more than anyone else.)

- "
I described how privacy enhancing technology has demonstrated that two bits of information (such as URLs) can be compared, matched, and actioned without knowing anything of value about either part or communicating anything to third parties."

This is specious and irrelevant.   It's like arguing that if the lock on your front door is secure, you don't need to worry about the security of your first-floor windows.

You have to take a comprehensive view of the whole system to meaningfully evaluate it and any risks that it presents.   Another part of the problem with these arguments in IETF context is that IETF generally only concerns itself with protocols, but protocols are only one piece of the whole system, which necessarily has human (and therefore corruptible) elements.  Even if IETF managed to approve a "secure" protocol for exposing use of CSAM, that protocol can likely be exploited in the context of a modified or different system.  That whole system is NOT something that IETF is likely to be able to usefully influence, and it absolutely will have exploitable flaws.   So it is inevitable that any "back door" that IETF endorses, helps develop, or assists will be misused - and likely, eventually, on a large scale.

- "
I believe the side meeting would have benefitted from a practical example of how privacy-preserving web filtering could be done at a network level to move beyond the theoretical ‘slippery slope’ arguments to a more technical (rather than ideological or emotion) assessment of real-world solutions."

Another tremendously naive statement, but it at least acknowledges the need to have a reasonably-complete example to discuss instead of just making handwaving arguments.

- "
The nature of the debate can, at times, be very robust and I can see why many would be deterred from contributing or even participating as a result."

I won't argue with this, but I will emphatically state that many subjects that IETF deals with require robust debate.   For example, the issues surrounding encryption are tremendously important, and it's counterproductive in the extreme to squelch the voices of some participants for arbitrary or poorly defined reasons.  We need to encourage robust debate even if it sometimes becomes strident, and encourage all parties to be able to speak their minds about these important topics even if (perhaps especially if)  their voices shake, while still looking for ways to enable those who are less confident, or who are less free to speak their minds for other reasons (say government or corporate pressure) to be able to be heard.

Another thing that this statement fails to acknowledge is that intolerance of robust debate can also deter many people from contributing or participating.   Many engineers will quickly realize when an environment won't let them contribute usefully, and many of them will prefer to instead invest their energy where they can make a useful difference.

- "Similarly, there is very limited diversity amongst participants, be that in terms of gender, ethnicity, or background, with a large percentage of people being white, male attendees from Western Europe or North America, mainly working for companies in the tech sector."

I won't argue with this statement either (even though it bugs me in a way - see below), and agree that IETF could improve in diversity of various kinds.   I'm especially concerned about the over-influence of corporate-sponsored participants, AND of the lack of representation from parts of the world for which Internet access is perhaps less capable than elsewhere, and a few other categories.

But I also can't help but observe that one person's notion of diversity or balance, is another person's notion of prejudice.

I tend to believe IETF should ideally not favor or repress any particular set of people, but rather something closer to: maximize the chance that all points-of-view are represented and heard.   But I also recognize that this goal that will also be found to have shortcomings given enough scrutiny.

- This blog post illustrates a growing problem for IETF, which is that IETF (and with it the Internet itself) is increasingly subject to public attack from naive parties who (quite naturally and perhaps unintentionally) bring their own prejudices into the discussion without those prejudices being subject to scrutiny.  It's an asymmetric attack that has a potential to do tremendous harm to the Internet. Oppressive governments and corporations will use such methods as well if they think it helps them degrade Internet privacy or security.  I suspect that IETF needs to find a way to compete with those voices more effectively than having individual participants or even IETF office holders respond to blog posts.

Keith