Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-16

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 09:35:05AM +0300, Michael Schapira wrote:
> Khronos can certainly be used with normal pool zones without introducing
> meaningful overhead. No fast servers are required. The reason is that (1)
> Khronos queries are much rarer than NTPv4's (see analysis),

The draft says:
  In each Khronos poll interval, the Khronos client selects, uniformly
  at random, a small subset (e.g., 10-15 servers) of a large server pool
  (containing hundreds of servers).  While Khronos queries around 3
  times more servers per polling interval than NTP, Khronos's polling
  interval can be longer (e.g., 10 times longer) than NTPv4, thereby,
  minimizing the load on NTP servers and the communication overhead.

So, if all clients used Khronos with the 10x longer interval, they
would add about 30% to the pool load (I'm ignoring the panic mode for
now). But that extra load is spread evenly across all servers,
bypassing the pool weighting. The servers that have their speed set to
the 1/1000th of the fastest servers would not get only 30% extra load,
but something closer to 10000% of extra load.

Where am I making error in my analysis?

--
Miroslav Lichvar