Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-16

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 10:03:19PM +0300, Michael Schapira wrote:
> Following up on the above discussion, I wanted to point out that the load
> on NTP servers induced by Khronos is something that we have extensively
> analyzed, both theoretically and empirically. Please see
> https://www.michaelschapira.com/_files/ugd/3b1e1e_278d283d14bf4dc994128eb4be88484a.pdf

It seems your own analysis in the paper agrees that this indeed is
a serious problem. Quoting from page 11:

  Overloading timeservers. We show that, if deployed at scale,
  the above discussed simple heuristic for assigning servers to
  clients, runs into the risk of inducing significant deviations
  from today’s load distribution, in which a large fraction of the
  timeservers experiences over 200x increase in load. Intuitively,
  this is because today’s practice of assigning timeservers to NTP
  clients with probability that is proportional to their netspeed
  values (see Section III-B) is at odds with Chronos’ uniform
  distribution of load across large sets of servers, irrespective
  of their netspeed values (which is needed for establishing its
  security guarantees [6]). Consequently, if the sets of servers
  with which Chronos clients synchronize, and the frequency
  of synchronization, are not chosen with care, low-netspeed
  servers will experience a huge surge in load.

This definitely needs to be explained in the Khronos draft and maybe
spell it out that Khronos must not be used with the normal zones in
pool.ntp.org. The paper proposes a solution using a special zone where
only selected fast servers are included, but that doesn't seem to
exist yet. I don't remember seeing it proposed on the project's
discourse (https://community.ntppool.org).

--
Miroslav Lichvar