Re: NomCom 2023 Update on Volunteers

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023, at 23:47, Salz, Rich wrote:
> I am a bit confused about the latest announcement.
>
>> I will disqualify a selection as necessary and immediately select the next volunteer.
>
> A minor nit. You don't mean the next one in the list, you mean the next
> one as determined by the cascading digest list, right?

Exactly.  "next" being determined by the RFC 3797 algorithm.

>> As always, if you believe an error was made, decisions can be challenged. Any challenges will be announced and a redraw will occur with newly chosen random seeds.
>
> I had thought you were planning on using the hash-chain for ALL cases
> of "have to pick a new voting volunteer." I guess I interpreted
> "otherwise unable to serve" from [1] as including disqualification.

If someone is obviously ineligible, I won't use the hash chain.  That part is normal.  The hash chain only exists for unanticipated problems, like someone refusing to participate.

If there is a challenge, that means that something has failed and probably something that is my fault.  See also [1], where I discuss the weakness created by using the one-time password.  Therefore, I believe it best to remove the possibility of my own (or yours, as you know the secret also) interference in the process.  Consequently, it is better to require a full set of new seeds if any redraws are needed after a challenge.

[1] https://martinthomson.github.io/vrs/draft-thomson-elegy-vrs.html#name-facilitators-and-selecting-