Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-17

On 5 Jul 2023, at 22:04, Dave Hart <davehart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You don't often get email from davehart@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 at 01:21, Neta R S <neta.r.schiff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Byzantine is just a term commonly used in distributed computing to represent a powerful generic attacker, for example the attacker is aware of the protocols run by others but is not limited to acting by them. I simplified the relevant sentence in the Introduction to show that Byzantine has no special meaning in this contest. I leave it there for the relation to the distributed computing literature.

I think a query of Google for "byzantine fault detection" and a search of RFC 5905 (NTPv4) for the term would caution against using it generically in this context.

So leaving it out may be the best option?  I’m not sure what it adds.

Tim