Re: AD review delays

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 03:59:46PM +0100, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> On 19/06/2023 12:16, Stewart Bryant wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering what the consensus of the members of the IETF is on a
> > reasonable time for an AD to take to move a document from publication
> > requested to the next stage in the publication process?
>
> I think the answer is "it depends." When I was on the IESG
> it probably mostly depended on the length/complexity of a
> document and what else was going on at the time, so not sure

There are certainly severall factors, yes.
"What else was going on at the time" includes other documents in the queue,
and I'll note that each AD's documents dashboard is publicly visible at, e.g.,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/ad/roman.danyliw (linked from Stephen's [1]).
I was unfortunate enough to have a queue of 10-15 documents in the
"publication requested" state for at least a year of my time as AD, which
meant queuing delays for everyone sending new documents in.

Starting from an empty queue, I expected to get through a given document in
2-4 weeks (with that review work being mostly done in the "off-cycle" weeks
when I was not reviewing documents for telechats, so if I missed one cycle,
then it added two weeks).

> it's possible to calculate to an expected duration for AD
> review. I guess historical data might produce a bell curve
> but not sure that data's easily assembled without a lot of
> datatracker foo. (In case people don't know, a lot of the
> current details for this are fairly transparent. [1])
>
> I'd hope that someone unhappy with an AD's progress doing AD
> evaluation would let the rest of the IESG know about that as
> they're best placed to either pressure a slow AD or to offer
> help to an overloaded AD.

Yes, this.  My fellow IESG members were quite gracious in helping take over
the AD sponsorship of some of my documents when my queue grew very long.

-Ben